Meaningful use and
Does EHR improve quality of care?
- Impact of Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) Slides►
- CPOE increases mortality Yes► No►
- Unintended Consequences
Narrated slides and videos require Flash.
Advanced learners like you,
often need different ways of understanding a topic. Reading is just one way of
understanding. Another way is through writing about what you have read.
The following questions get you to think more about the concepts
taught in this session.
What evidence is there that adverse drug effects go down
after implementation of electronic health records with computerized
physician order entry. Provide the rate before and after the
implementation of CPOE. Give the source of your claim.
In some studies, the rate of medication errors after
implementation of CPOE increases or fails to decrease, what do these studies
give as the reason for the effect of CPOE on medication errors (please do
not confuse studies on medication error with studies on mortality rates).
Give the source of your claim.
Discuss the difference of the two studies of impact of
CPOE on mortality. In particular, list what did one study do that the
other had not done so that ICU mortality did not go up.
List 9 ways in which CPOE could lead to unexpected
List the requirements for Stage 2 Meaningful Use? Give the source
of your claim.
What are the financial incentives available in Medicare and Medicaid program
for adoption of electronic health records? Give the amount and the
criteria that must be met to receive the incentive.
List the impact of EHR on quality.
Do not provide your opinions or experiences but review the evidence in the course
or in the literature.
- Be brief. Describe one impact per slide.
- Cite your work in smaller font on each slide so I can trace your
arguments to its source. All
slides should have a reference source.
- Be clear. Do not extrapolate from studies done in a clinic to
studies in hospitals and vice versa.
- Be visual. Copy charts or graphs from the papers you have
summerized in to the slides and put the text of what your reading and cite your
See an example done by other students:
Bank et al►
Do One: Summarize Findings
- Over the past five years, what percent of physicians have reported that their patients had access to Computerized Order Entry? Use Excel to answer. Explain your assumptions.
- Create a severity-adjusted, benchmarked report of patient safety problems at
different hospitals with the enclosed data.
For additional information
(not part of the required reading), please see the following
Meaningful use rap
for John Cuddeback M.D., Ph.D. Lecture
Slides for talk by
Syed Termizi MD
Xu Han presentation of benefits (Chinese)
Jacobs on Meaningful Use of EHR
- A list of articles on the
impact of Electronic Health Records on cost of care.
- Does information technology matter? The relationship between information
technology adoption and quality of care
- Health IT News
- Financial performance of primary care physician practices prior to
electronic health record implementation
- Mind interface with computers
PPatient with robotic hand ►
electronic health record and the unlikely prospect of reducing health care
- Introduction to meaningful use
This page is part of the course on
Information Systems. This page was edited
by Farrokh Alemi, Ph.D. ęCopyright protected.