- Precision Medicine
- Predictive Medicine
- Predictive Medicine using genetic biomarkersRead►
- Predictive Medicine using patients' medical history Read►
Narrated slides and videos require Flash.
Advanced learners like you, often need different ways of understanding a topic. Reading is just one way of understanding. Another way is through writing about what you have read. The following questions get you to think more about the concepts
taught in this session.
- What is precision medicine? Can it be done using non-genetic
- How is precision medicine different from predictive medicine?
- Give 3 examples of predictive medicine in use today. Give the
source of your claim.
- Give 3 examples of precision medicine in use today. Give the
source of your claim.
Do One Assignment: Analyze Response to Treatment
Get your data.
Please do not share this data. These data address effectiveness of various antidepressants. Each row is one patient. The first set of columns
are genetic data on the patient, followed by phenotype information
(e.g. anxiety diagnosis), followed by response to various
antidepressant. A 1 indicates success, and a 0 failure to respond,
and no entry indicates that it was not tried on the patient. More►
- Create a table showing the relationship between anxiety
diagnosis (data in column with heading of "Generalized Anxiety
Diagnosis") and response to citalopram (data in column with
heading of "CIT_Success"). Report the rate
of success for Citalopram among patients with generalized
- Which medication has highest success rate when the patient has anxiety diagnosis
(use data in columns with headings of "CIT_Success," "BUP_Success,"
"SER_Success," "VEN_Success," "CT_Success," "MIRT_Success," and
"NTP_Success")? Report the rate of success for
each of the medications. Give your opinion about why it is
difficult to understand which medication works for patients with
generalized anxiety depression?
- Which medication has highest success rate when the patient has substance abuse
(use data in column with the heading "Drug Abuse Diagnosis")?
- Optional assignment: Given that
patients who have anxiety depression also tend to abuse
substances, identify the best medication for anxiety depression after removing the confounding effect of substance abuse.
- Optional assignment: Create an Access or Excel file that will allow a new patient to enter their characteristics and receive information on what is likely to occur to them
For additional information (not part of the required reading), please see the following links:
- Can a focus on genetics hurt us in managing common chronic diseases?
This page is part of the course on
Information Systems. Edited by
Farrokh Alemi, Ph.D. ©Copyright protected.