This lecture provides key examples and asks you to
review the literature on a diet of interest to you.
- Learn how to investigate the effectiveness of various diets
- Learn scientific evidence in support of different food habits.
- Read Goff SL, Foody JM, Inzucchi S, Katz D, Mayne ST,
Krumholz HM. BRIEF REPORT: nutrition and weight loss
information in a popular diet book: is it fact, fiction,
or something in between? J Gen Intern Med.
- Swartz J. The sense and nonsense of the
best-selling diet books. Can Med Assoc J. 1982 Mar
- Present data on the effectiveness of a specific diet using PubMed.
Advanced learners like you, often need different ways of understanding a topic. Reading is just one way of understanding. Another way is through writing about what you have
read. The enclosed assessment is designed to get you to think more about the concepts taught in this session.
- How effective is the Atkin's diet?
- How effective is the South Beach diet?
- Is there evidence that some diets cause harm by increasing the
probability of heart problems?
Every week, ask a question
or comment on the lecture.
Use the Scholar and PubMed search engines to
investigate the effectiveness of one of the following diets:
Atkin's diet, low fat diet, South Beach diet, Grapefruit diet, etc.
consumer health information available on weight loss
This page is part of the course on
Lifestyle Management This page was last edited on
10/22/11 by Farrokh Alemi, Ph.D ©Copyright protected.