- Read chapter 2 in Big Data in Health Care: Statistical Analysis of
Electronic Health Record
Instruction for Submission of Assignments: Assignments
should be submitted directly on Blackboard. In rare situations
assignments can be sent directly by email to the instructor. Submission
should follow these rules:
- Submit your answers in a Jupyter Notebook
- Submit you answers in Blackboard.
Task 1: Download Microsoft SQL Server.
Instruction for SSMS 2017►
Patruni's Teach One►
- MAC users should first download and install virtualization software (VirtualBox, VMWare Player/Fusion,
Parallels). Get a copy of an operating system from MSDN (i.e. Windows 10),
or Linux (i.e., Ubuntu, or CentOS). Configure a virtual machine and install the guest operating system.
Note: In this course we will be mostly using VirtualBox, but you can use any virtualization solution.
- Install MS SQL. DreamSpark (with Microsoft software) library is available
free of charge for GMU students. Click on start shopping. Select SQL Server 2014 Express
With Advanced Services With Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English).
- Use your GMU email to register (without Masonlive, i.e. email@example.com). Do not use your GMU password. Only Microsoft software is available on this site. Software is FREE.
Contact instructor if your password does not work.
Task 2: Download and clean data. Download data in three/four zipped files. You can
focus on the entire data or focus on the data for patients who have at least 365
days of encounters. For password contact your
instructor. By opening this file you agree not to share the file with
anyone else. Unzip the files twice, first to get to the directory and then
to get to the actual file. Link to the data into Access or read the data
into Microsoft SQL server. We recommend you use SQL server. To
create the database, open SQL server and right click on the database and start a
new database. Right click on the database, select "Tasks," select "Import
Data," select "Flat File Source" as the source of the data, change file type to
"CSV Files," browse to where you unzipped the files, indicate that field names
are in the first row, select as destination "SQL Server Native Client" file type.
>365 Days Data,
SQL Code to
Visual Guide to Read SQL►
- Remove blanks from numeric data, such as DxAtAge.
- Convert text data
in the AgeAtDeath to
float. This is typically done through if statements such as these:
- IIF(DxAtAge >0, DxAtAge, Null)
- IIF(AgeAtDeath="Null", Null, cast(AgeAtDeath AS Float))
- Identify individuals whose date of death or date of birth might be in error and have
visits post date of death or visits prior to birth. Exclude them. Keep only
the cases whose date of death, or date of birth, is not in error.
- Report the total number of cases that are subject to the analysis
- Dahee Choi's
- Grace Buck's